The Key Ingredients
The Healthiest Lifestyle can be summarized using the acronym NEURO-C.
Emphasize a diet that is Whole Foods Plant Based (Organic when possible)
- Vegetables-a big variety, especially dark green leafy and cruciferous (like broccoli, cauliflower and kale)
- Fruits-especially berries
- Legumes (pinto and black beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas)
- Whole Grains (brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, whole wheat)
- Some Nuts and Seeds, Mushrooms and Onions/Garlic, Spices-especially Turmeric
Avoid Animal Products and Processed Foods
- Avoid Meats, not only red meat but also poultry and fish, and especially processed meats
- Avoid Dairy, especially high fat (cheese) or with added sugar (ice cream)
- Avoid Eggs
- Avoid Highly processed foods that are low in fiber and high is sugar, oil (fats), and salt
Take the vitamins that you may be lacking
- Vitamin D3 for most people, especially those not regularly exposed to sunlight
- Vitamin B12 especially for those that eat primarily plant-based
Maintain Physical Activity throughout the day
- 150-300 hours per week of Moderate Intensity Physical Activity (brisk walking, etc)
- or 75-150 hours per week of Strenuous Physical Activity (jogging, etc)
Avoid Prolonged Inactivity (sitting more than an hour at a time)
Intentionally Relax and Unwind
Seek Joy and Avoid Negative Stress
Encourage Healthy Sleep
Avoid Disturbances to Sleep
Seek Experiences that Strengthen our Mental and Emotional Health
- Activities that Develop New or Complex Skills
- Time for Strong Social Connections
- Meaningful and Purposeful Experiences
Stop Harmful Lifestyles
Make Safety a Priority
Watch out for Toxins in our Food and Environment
(*The acronym NEURO is from The Alzheimer’s Solution book by Drs Dean and Ayesha Sherzai, with C added for Caution.)
Keeping in mind these healthy lifestyle ingredients, please enjoy watching at least one of these informative and inspiring documentaries:
Forks Over Knifes has helped millions of people to discover how a healthy lifestyle can treat many common medical conditions. It follows everyday people as they learn to use a whole-food, plant-based diet to improve their health and reverse the underlying causes of their medical conditions. The Forks Over Knives website is also an excellent resource.
The Game Changers explores how a plant based diet can be part of the quest for ultimate athletic performance. The Game Changers website is also an excellent resource.
Click her for a printable version of The Healthiest Lifestyle.
Knowing the risks of a poor lifestyle and the benefits of making healthy choices is a great start. But that knowledge is only helpful if it leads to meaningful action. That’s what we consider on the next page, Healthy Lifestyle Steps.
Click to get back to Home page.